Ravenstone vs Rutherford House primaries

8 posts
Kat15
Share this post on:

Ravenstone vs Rutherford House primaries

Postby Kat15 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:11 pm

It's getting closer to the deadline for listing choices and we are a bit stuck (in a positive way!) between what seem to be two good schools: Ravenstone and Rutherford House. Having visited each school already, I wonder if anyone here might be able to offer some insight on choosing between the two. It seems that Rutherford House has possibly a better reputation at the moment, well-resourced with shrinking catchment area, but is still relatively new and not yet running at full capacity. Our predominant impression of Ravenstone was that of a slightly less well resourced but very caring and happy environment for children. After school care provision is important to us. I am sure there is lots we have not thought of. Thank you in advance!

Nev123
Share this post on:

Re: Ravenstone vs Rutherford House primaries

Postby Nev123 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:27 pm

We are going through the same thought process. Leaning towards Rutherford I think for the same reasons but they both seem like really great options. I’d be interested to know parents’ thoughts.

I also wonder what people do about the form. Should you fill out all 6 options? Unless catchments shrink a lot I’m not sure we need to.
Spinosaurus
Share this post on:

Postby Spinosaurus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:24 pm

We went through this last year and our child is at Ravenstone now and we are pleased with it. It was our second choice but when a place came up at our first choice of Henry Cavendish two months into first term we turned it down. Ravenstone is a bit scruffy in parts although that's improving but most important to us is the happy atmosphere and our happy child.
twomonkeys
Share this post on:

Postby twomonkeys » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:14 pm

I can't help with direct experience on those particular schools as mine are at another, but I would strongly urge @Nev to fill all 6 spaces on your form. It's unlikely you'll not get your first or second choice, but it is impossible to predict what will happen with demand and catchment areas - better to get a school you have actively chosen, than to be allocated a random school if you have not put enough.
the parsley song
Share this post on:

Postby the parsley song » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Trinity St Mary's on Balham Park Road is on the same level as Ravenstone and Rutherford, so check them out as well.

Nev123
Share this post on:

Postby Nev123 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Yes that’s a fair point. Better to have put something just in case. Catchments do seem to fluctuate a lot.
marmitelover
Share this post on:

Postby marmitelover » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:00 pm

I’m a Ravenstone parent and we couldn’t be happier with the school. The headmaster joined about 18 months ago and he’s young, keen and brilliant. Our children (x2!) are both very happy there. It’s inclusive, caring and fun but also a real focus on teaching and getting results for all pupils. I particularly like that the different school years interact - so yr6 pupils are there to keep the reception/Nursery play on track, peer mentors and lunch buddies etc.

After school and breakfast club have been on-site since September 2017 and are popular with the children and good value for parents.

Choosing a school is very personal to your child and it’s great that Balham has choice between good schools. As echoed above, do put all choices in just in case as catchments can move year to year! In my view, Ravenstone is an excellent all round school
balhamfun
Share this post on:

Postby balhamfun » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 pm

We have a child in reception at Ravenstone and we absolutely love the school. Lots of reasons but the main ones are:

The Head has high aspirations for all the children. This was critical for us, and we love the real sense of excitement about learning generated by the school. He is also really strong on ensuring best practice and evidence-based approaches are brought into teaching on a day to day basis, and on keeping his eye on how this positively impacts results and learning.

Alongside that we love that the school values include happiness, kindness and honesty. The school has a real focus on children's well being and supporting them to become world-ready as well as test-ready.

Mr Croft (The Head) is absolutely amazing, I don't know where he finds the energy from. He has an inspiring leadership style, and seems to be able to both support and challenge his teaching team, and bring out the best in them. This approach seems to filter down to how they work with the children. I love the traditional school building, and resourcing and equipment seems good, although one of Mr Croft's current projects is revamping the main playground area. There is some info on the website (https://www.ravenstoneschool.co.uk/for/ ... velopment/ )

We visited several local schools, all twice, and also considered private. Ravenstone stood out for us as somewhere that our child would be stretched and supported academically but also have the space to grow and develop and be themselves, and think about how to apply their learning and what it would mean for the future.

Rutherford House also seems like a great school though so whatever your choice/outcome we are all pretty lucky to live in an area with such a strong choice of schools!