Tesco con

15 posts
mollys
Options:
Share this post on:

Tesco con

Postby mollys » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:47 pm

ok, so I realise I am at risk of sounding like a frustrated housewife, but ... has anyone else been ripped off when using Tesco.com?
I ordered some champagne which was on offer at half price, booked the delivery and received the confirmation email with the delivery date, quoting the reduced price. But when it arrived, it turned out the delivery date I had chosen (which was clearly marked on their confirmation email) was a day outside the promotion and so I was charged full price without anyone or anything on the website when I booked the wrong delivery date, alerting me to the fact. I didn't even think to check the delivery note as the prices had all been confirmed (or so I thought) in the confirmation email.
I actually only realised because my husband got a phone call at work from the credit card company wondering if there had been any fraud as it was such a high amount! Woops!
Tesco say that it is my fault because the end date of the offer was clearly stated, and whilst I can understand that, I do think that when you pick a delivery date any offers in your basket which are no longer valid should be flagged up, as they are with Ocado, asda.com and sainsburys.
To add insult to injury, they also make it pretty impossible to return the stuff for a refund as despite being told I can return it to any store, it turns out you can only return it to Tesco Extra stores - and the closest one is in New Malden. Not really worth the journey with 2 kids!
Anyway, rant over, but I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else and what you did about it. Contacting Tesco just results in the same old "computer says no" response with a few lies thrown in for good measure!
balhamite
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Tesco con

Postby balhamite » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Poor you. That is rubbish.

I haven't had your issue but I have had problems with very late deliveries recently and I have found their customer service when trying to deal with this extremely poor compared to that experienced from sainsburys. Resulting in me deciding never to use them again.
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Ripped off? No you haven't if you're honest have you? Inflexible customer service? That's a different question but they haven't been dishonest. dcv
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:24 pm

p.s. dcv means nothing, It was the kitten running on the laptop! :lol:
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:44 pm

I've always found it highlights the offer price beneath the item when you shop online

Annoying that the return process wasn't convenient

tooting_mummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tooting_mummy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:08 am

I haven't had that problem - I have always been given an alert to change the date of my delivery if I want to receive the offer - but don't talk to me about their substitutions.
Last week, for example, I wanted Panko breadcrumbs for tempura prawns and they substituted them for curry sauce??? Or special offers they have run out of and don't provide a substitution - if they haven't got my half price Cab Sav they should provide me with another brand for the same price as I have asked for substitutions. But they never do.

First world problems and all that but grrrrrrrrr!
hjm
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hjm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:13 am

Go to ocado. I left tesco a few months ago as they were literally ripping me off (subject of a previous post of mine) and they couldn't provide an explanation. Ocado service is wonderful. I would never go back to tesco now
Artycat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Artycat » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:20 am

I would have thought if the price on the screen said one thing and the amount they took from your account was different then that is breaking some sort of rule/law? Unless it was clearly stated when you pressed confirm. Anyway Im dont do online shopping so perhaps cant give an informed response but that just seems like common sense in terms of consumer laws/guidance etc...
Nims
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nims » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:51 am

I second hjm, Ocado are brilliant... timely deliveries, very polite drivers and clear website. They currently have an offer on 1l Bombay sapphire for £15 a bottle, so we've stocked up nicely for Christmas... :D

mollys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mollys » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:29 am

Juliantenniscoach - I was wondering what dcv stood for!
You're right, ripped off is probably too strong - though that is how I felt after several phone calls to customer service (not sure they should really be allowed to call it that!) which basically resulted in them telling me they couldn't honour the pricing in my confirmation email, and that I couldn't return it unless I'm willing to make a 2 hour round trip!
If the offer had expired, don't put it in the confirmation!
Thanks for all your input everyone - I love ocado but am trying to save money so will give sainsburys a go!
mumsw16
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumsw16 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:20 am

This doesn't help much but the new Tesco in Streatham is a Tesco Extra so maybe not so far for you to return it?
NYE31
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NYE31 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:49 am

Try Waitrose online, they are v.good, minimal substitutions & if you aren't happy you can send them back for a full refund or return to any branch.

I have used tesco.com a couple of times in the past when staying in the SW before Waitrose online & never again.
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Happy Ocado customer here.

dewdneyk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dewdneyk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 am

I'm a serial pain in the neck when it comes to taking on companies like Tesco.
I would find some legal base - see previous post - for your complaint and then keep at it. Argue the case as far as it is going with the customer service people and then ask to speak to their manager. Escalate it every time you have completely exhausted their usefulness and do not get pushed down any blind alleys - keep reiterating until you are blue in the face that you had ordered the goods in the period and they should honour the deal as they said they would on the order confirmation.

If you want some advice you could try Trading Standards at the Town Hall and they may clarify what rules - if any - they are breaking. And that's what you quote at them endlessly.

If you then say that you will use various websites/review sites to post damaging reviews of the service, tell the local press so you can warn others etc they will almost always cave in.

Last time we wanted to upgrade our Sky Box we found a great offer that Sky claimed no longer worked. We could find nothing in the small print that said it didn't so we followed the above strategy. It took us one afternoon of constant repeating our position - not arguing - and eventually ended up with more channels and a better Box than the previous one for a smaller price. In addition, Sky then had the cheek to send us a "how did we do?" email for comment the day after and when I told them exactly how difficult it had been I then got an apology and 2 months free service in compensation!

Tesco are a complete pain but a very rich one and using things like this to take money from customers is how they become so rich. Do not take it but argue your case.
Good luck!!!!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.