My kids are ALWAYS sick

6 posts
Somlive@gmail.com
Options:
Share this post on:

My kids are ALWAYS sick

Postby Somlive@gmail.com » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 am

Dear mums, I am feeling rather helpless, running out of energy and ideas for how to keep small children healthier and with fewer colds and the flu at bay. I have a 3.5 year old (at nursery) and a 18 month old at home with me. No joke since mid October both kids have been sick every week. Have taken them to the GP every week to ensure coughs don't develp into anything more sinister. My eldest has has 3 ear infections in under 2 months, been on antibiotics and has had audiology tests as we fear her hearing (and speech) is compromise particularly when she has a cold (which is ALWAYS). My youngest has got a stuffy nose every other week, affecting his sleep. I know it's the season, all kids get sick, their tubes aren't property developed etc etc but seriously, is this normal?? I am not exaggerating when I say this is all the time!
Warm regards from a very dejected mummy :(
Muminearlsfield
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: My kids are ALWAYS sick

Postby Muminearlsfield » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am

my sister lives in Berlin and what the doctor advised when my nephews were sick was to...go out more! to get fresh air, to build immunity.

the parents in scandinavia also think its a good idea to put their kids in their pram outside for their naps!

have you tried giving your children some probiotics too?

I think food is really important so do they eat well? lot of vegetables?
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:47 am

Are you sure it’s not an allergy? Do you have any pets? If it really is a succession of colds then maybe dose them up on kid-friendly vitamins. I find fresh (and I mean squeeze it yourself) orange juice has really helped cut down on the number of colds I get - although most kids don’t like the taste unfortunately.
sophiesophs
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sophiesophs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm so sorry to hear!! Have to agree with the previous replies, fresh air is so underrated - especially as it is often so cold and we dont want to go outside!! No matter the weather it is so important to let the kids roam free for atleast an hour a day because even if it is not sunny they can still absorb some vit D. Also, if they are constantly on antibiotics then their immune system will never have the chance to build up and get strong!
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:40 am

Has your eldest recently started nursery, say in September? I ask because I remember when my daughter started, we had exactly the same thing. She caught everything and brought all germs home to infect the rest of us! We were all ill all winter! If this is the case then eventually the immunity builds up and everyone gets healthy again but it can take a while.

Stay on top of the ear infections though.

Good luck x

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.