Rejecting a new car

5 posts
Onlyboys2
Options:
Share this post on:

Rejecting a new car

Postby Onlyboys2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 am

Having bought a brand new and not inexpensive SUV in August for cash it has now had multiple faults and spent so much time in the garage out of use and often without a courtesy car. I have had enough and discovered yesterday that it is still possible to hand it back to the Audi dealership up until 6m. We are nearly there and so need to start the process. I suspect it isn't as easy as it seems so wondering if anyone has successfully gone through this or given up and accepted a car that is riddled with problems even when new?! Thank you as always for any advice!
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Rejecting a new car

Postby Annabel (admin) » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 am

I can’t help but I know someone who can I’ll ask them to post...
CarAdvice
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CarAdvice » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 am

I've been asked to reply - happy to help...

It's not hard to do but be aware that dealerships will do all they can to stop you rejecting the car so it's mainly a case of sticking to your guns and documenting everything.

In 2017 I took Car Giant to court and won a settlement but it was slow and, at times, a bit of a pain.

The law has changed in your favour since then and Car Giant are a no-frills car supermarket so it's harder to engage with their customer services all of which mean that you should be fine.

The best place for advice is Honest John in the Telegraph:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answ ... -t-fix-it-

But in a nutshell this is what you need to do:

1. write to the dealership (registered post) explaining that you are rejecting the car and asking that they reply to you in a reasonable time with the process for returning it.

2. explain why you are rejecting the car. If it has been in to the garage to be fixed (for faults, not accident damage) then you should refer to their acceptance of the car for fixing that they acknowledge that there are faults. Explain that the number and repetition of the faults means that you believe that the goods (the car) does not meet the required standard under consumer law

I'd write "Without Prejudice" on the letter at the top and see what they say.

As long as you have notified them that you're rejecting it within six months then that's fine.

Keep us posted but do dig around the Honest John site I linked to above - he is excellent.
Onlyboys2
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Onlyboys2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:03 am

CarAdvice super helpful thank you. Having a look now!
parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby parsleysong » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 pm

I was also going to recommend Honest John who has a column in Saturday's Telegraph. You can email him and the couple of times I've done it I've received an email back from the man himself within a few hours: letters@honestjohn.co.uk

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.