Results published last week show that almost a quarter of Wandsworth parents failed in their first choice primary school applications.
Parents were informed of the status of their applications on Monday, April 18 and 23% did not receive these first place requests. Parents may still, yet, be successful as these parents can still apply to join waiting lists which have, historically, moved significantly as families leave London or move elsewhere in the capital.
This year the total number of applications in the borough rose by 4.6% to bring a new record of 3,233 applicants. As a result of the increase, a total of 160 applicants were not offered any of their favoured choices. However, all applicants have still been placed in alternative schools.
An Ofsted report covering the quality of schools and teaching in 2013 shared that 96% of the school located in Wandsworth were considered good or outstanding. This is the second highest rating in London. First place goes to Camden with a record that stands at 98%.
An education and children’s service member, Councillor Kathy Tracey, said: “Parents in Wandsworth have some really excellent schools to choose from.
“Our primaries continue to strongly outperform others across the country, including London, and this is testament to the inspired work of headteachers, teachers, teaching assistants and governors to deliver the best possible education to our young people.”
Altogether, Wandsworth schools were offering a place for 3,191 students. 3,038 of them were secured for the residents of the borough. A total of 183 spots currently still remain vacant across 11 primary school.
The MP of Tooting, Sadiq Khan, said:” Families across Wandsworth have just found out whether their children have been given their first choice for a primary school place. However the news has left many families feeling disappointed.
“Local children should be able to attend their local schools.
“London has a huge shortage of school places – yet the Tories have cut funds to build new schools by half.”